I won’t go to France: Taslima
TNN, The Times of India
January 26, 2008

Noted author Taslima Nasreen has said that she does not intend to travel to Paris to receive the Simone de Beauvoir award. Even though the French government, on the Indian government’s suggestion, has extended an invitation to Taslima, the writer feels that if she cannot receive the award certificate in India, she was not keen on going to Paris.

Taslima has pointed out that the award ceremony has already been held in Paris on January 9. Her French publisher Christiane Besse has received the award and read out a speech on her behalf. Now that security grounds had been cited to dissuade French president Nicolas Sarkozy from meeting her in India, the author feels that the award might as well be couriered to her Kolkata

“I do thank the French government for inviting me to Paris, but I do not think I want to travel all the way to France to collect the certificate,’’ Taslima said.